Sustensis is a kind of a Think Tank to provide inspirations, suggestions and solutions for the transition of Humanity to the time when it will coexist with Superintelligence. The posts and entries are archived and continuously updated under the main tabs and there is a comprehensive SEARCH facility. The contents is provided mainly by myself, the site creator, and other collaborators.
I invite experts in various domains of knowledge to join me in making this site relevant to people interested in certain aspects of human progress in the context of evolving Artificial Intelligence to ensure that when it emerges as Superintelligence, it will become our friend rather than a foe. We need to create a critical mass for aligning interests of various states to minimize the existential risks that might emerge during a transition period to coexistence with a benevolent Superintelligence, guided by the following assumptions:
- The world has started to change in most areas at nearly an exponential pace. What once took a decade it can now be achieved in a year or two.
- It is the technology that is the driving force behind that pace of change, and in particular Artifical Intelligence (AI). It has already been delivering many benefits to us all and in the next few decades it may create the world of unimaginable abundance. That is the side of AI we all want to hear about.
- However, AI, as many other technological breakthroughs, such as nuclear energy or biotechnology (especially genetics), has also become a risk, probably the greatest existential risk that humanity has ever faced.
- An early form of that risk, which is nearly imminent is an immature form of Artificial Intelligence, before it reaches the Superintelligence level, also called Artificial General Intelligence.
- By about 2030-2035 Artificial Intelligence may reach the stage in some areas, where humans may not be able to fully control it, becuase it may already outsmart us.
- By 2045-2050 Superintelligence may have matured with either a benevolent or malevolent control over humans. If it becomes benevolent, by having inherited the best Universal Values of Humanity, it will help us control all other existential risks and gradually create the world of abundance. If it becomes malevolent, it may eradicate all humans and quite likely any other living species.
- By 2050 Superintelligence may achieve the so called Technological Singularity. That means it can re-develop itself exponentially, being millions of times more intelligent and capable than the entire Humanity, and quite probably becoming a conscious entity.
- For naysayers here are some reminders: In September 1933, the eminent physicist Ernest Rutherford gave a speech, in which he said that “anyone who predicts energy could be derived from the transformation of the atom is talking moonshine”. The very next day the Hungarian scientist Leo Szilard, while walking in a park, worked out conceptually how a nuclear chain reaction can be used to build a nuclear bomb or a nuclear power station. There are dozens of similar most recent examples where top specialists predicted that an invention in their specialist domain would be many years away, but all of which have already been achieved either fully or partially, such as (no. of years in brackets counting from 2016): i.e. AlphaGO (10 years earlier), autonomous vehicle (8), quantum computing (10-15), quantum encryption (10).
You will find some justification for these assertions in various areas of this website. However, a full reasoning behind these assumptions can be found in my books:
We have already entered unknowingly the period, which I call “Transition to Coexistence with Superintelligence”. In practice, we have about one decade to put in place at least the main safeguards controlling the Superintelligence’s capabilities, to protect us as a species. One of the key preconditions is that we create a supra-national powerful organization that would be acting on behalf all of us, as a planetary civilization (considering that the UN cannot realistically play that role). However, I believe it is too late for this option since it would have taken several decades and even then it might not have all the required powers. Therefore, we have to rely on an existing organisation that would transform itself into a Human Federation acting as a de facto World Government embracing the majority, but not all of the states. The organisation that came on top of 10 potential candidates to govern Humanity in a transition period is the European Union, assuming it would be quickly transformed into a Federation.
Anyone interested in an introduction to the subjects discussed on this website may wish to view the videos of my lectures and presentations on the subjects of Coexisting with Superintelligence.
This website observes the principles of the Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and you can view its content here.
If this is the first time you have come to this site, please click Next to get to the following logical tab.
Next: How to use this site?